Tuesday, September 01, 2009

That time of year

Top: Pickled cucumbers in vodka, pickled garlic
Bottom: Tomatoes with oregano, peach butter, dilly beans

The last few days have been absolutely GORGEOUS in NYC--slightly cooler (enough to turn the A/C off), and bright blue sunny skies. Vitalay and I headed to the farmer's market on Saturday and stocked up on tasty things, and received an unexpected bounty of delicious peaches from guests Jess & Casey (thank you again!!!). Yesterday we hauled out the canning equipment, and set to work! We made five different things (listed above) so it was quite an ambitious day, but we got it all done. I love looking at all of the brightly colored jars afterward--I want to decorate my windowsills with them, but I know they must be stored in a darker spot....
And I finished V's socks!
Raveled here!
I'd say that he's been very patient, but that would be a lie. But now that he has them, the long months of waiting are forgotten, and he's pretty thrilled.I never get tired of knitting with Noro--the color changes are so beautiful. I do sometimes wish they made a softer version yarn with Kureyon's amazing colorways for close-to-the-skin garments, but mostly I don't mind the rustic feel of the wool. I could knit blankets to cover my whole house in the stuff.
There's more knitting to show, but it's a wee gift that must be given first, so that will have to wait for next time....