Monday, October 13, 2008

Habu Bamboo Pullover

Pattern: mine
Yarn: Habu bamboo XS-32 20/18, Color Charcoal (4), 6 skeins
Needles: US 4 Addi Turbos
Ravelry link
I finally took some photos!
I love this yarn!!! It is one of the nicest yarns I have ever used, smooth and silky and soft. It is also heavy and drapey, so it's not really appropriate for anything that needs stitch definition, or to hold a defined shape. But it falls over the body like a sheet of water--it's delicious to wear.
So, I made this pattern up as I went, specifically for this lovely yarn, with some preliminary drawings, and a general idea in my head. I took no notes, and re-did the neck twice, so I'm sort of fuzzy on specifics. A couple of people have asked, however, for a clue to its general construction, so I'll try to describe it here.
Pattern Notes:
What I wanted was a completely simple-looking, seamless sweater--which does not always mean simple construction. I knit it bottom-up, in the round till the armholes. I then put the back on holders, and provisionally cast on enough sts on either side for elbow-length sleeves (sleeves are knit sideways). Then, knit back and forth till tops of arms/shoulders, and put them all on holders.
I returned the sts for the back to the needles, as well as the provisionally cast-on sts at the bottoms of both arms. Then knit up to tops of arms/shoulders.
Here, I grafted the arms together, starting at the cuff and working my way up over the shoulder. It was a little bit of trial and error to see how far to go, as I wanted a wide neckline. Then, I put the neck stitches on needles, did one or 2 rounds to get it a little more secure in the places I grafted over the shoulders (pick up a st or 2 in there if there's a big gap), and then I knit the rest of the neck back and forth, leaving the left side open. Bind off all sts. Voila!
I know it's a little vague, but I hope that helps anyone who wanted to try something similar. There are other ways to achieve the same effect, but this one was the most appealing to me. This is one of my favorite knits, much due to the gorgeousness of the bamboo yarn, but it took me a while to come up with something that was really right for such a heavy yarn. Yay for Habu!!! How I love them.... ;)