Saturday, June 21, 2008

Just in time for summer....


Pattern: Gathered Pullover, by Hana Jason, from Interweave Knits, Winter 2007
Yarn: Morehouse Merino 3-Strand, in navy, purchased at the Morehouse store during Rhinebeck '07; 5 1/2 skeins
Needles: Addi US 8, 32" throughout whole sweater
Ravelry link
Mods: I added waist shaping, pretty much following the shaping for the Hourglass Sweater from LMKG.
I also changed the stitch counts a little bit b/c of the larger gauge of my yarn--I essentially made an XS size, one step down from the smallest size given, for the body, but followed the directions for the smallest size on the sleeves, which worked out fine.
Also added a bit of length before starting the motif, since I have kind of a long waist and don't like when sweaters are too short on me. Also a little extra length on sleeves, cuz I like 'em long.
And last, but not least, I eliminated the 5 paired dec's and consecutive inc's over the breasts. I tried it, but ripped back and took them out--it just looked weird, and left holes, and I didn't want this to be the kind of sweater with holes over the nipples, ya know?

I absolutely love this sweater. It has been a long time since I've been so happy with a finished garment. If it weren't summer, I'd be wearing it every day. It fits perfectly--no weird bits or poochy places. I wore it on the plane to Israel in desperation to enjoy it at least once before folding it away for 3 months. And three cheers for Hana Jason for creating such a beautiful pattern!
The Morehouse Merino is a dream to knit with. Soft and sort of felty-feeling, it is thick and warm and lofty when knit, and became even more soft and supple than I thought possible after blocking. I'd been dying to knit a whole sweater out of it ever since I saw Jess Fig & Plum knitting this drool-inducing thing, and it was all I had hoped it would be, and more. :)
One more happy roof shot:
And thanks again to my photographer, for indulging my possibly bizarre-seeming requests for photos of woolly handknits in mid-June.