Sunday, September 09, 2007

What I've Been Up To....

Yes, things have suddenly become much more serious here at my place--I am officially back in school! And as you can see from my bookshelf, I'm going for a bit less fluff this time around--no "Survey of Japanese Painting" or "Religions of Asia" for me. And here's the lovely place where all of this learnin' is happening:Beautiful Brooklyn College, a shockingly picturesque campus for being A) part of the CUNY system, and B) in the middle of Brooklyn. Not that Brooklyn isn't beautiful--we all know that I'm a faithful Brooklynite--but let's face it, it has its rough patches. A mere 3 minute walk from Flatbush (as well as a student ID to gain access to the campus) finds you here:at this gorgeous lily pond, created, incidentally, by my Botany teacher.
Some of you may be a little confused here, so let me explain: I have a BA in Art History and Art Studio, as well as an MA in Art History, but never really pursued a career in it after grad school. I completely lost all interest. So recently, I decided to go back for a 2nd BA in Biology--and though this may seem redundant, I could hardly apply to a grad school program in science with absolutely no undergrad coursework in it. I am so excited about it, it feels AMAZING to be back in school, though it is certainly very demanding, and really getting in the way of all of my leisure pursuits!
But I have managed to get some work done on the Esther socks, mainly in the library between classes:Sometimes the sock likes to hang out on my math homework. To keep the homework company, since I like to pretend that it doesn't exist.
And I started working on some very special, Habu cashmere, dinosaur gloves:No, they're not for a kid. They're for a 30-year-old man. Again, people, this is what happens when you say, "I can do anything you want." I'm a slow learner.
And I had my last international visitor of the summer: Tino, the German housemate of the Australian, Michael, who I stayed with in Melbourne. This guy was so cool and tolerant of having me hanging around their house for several weeks, so I was thrilled to be able to reciprocate a little here in NYC:Hanging out at Blue Ribbon Cafe, having a German beer.
And that's it! Oh, except that I finally got to see the city from way up high--but we were smart, and skipped the 2-hour line at the Empire State Building for the no-line at Rockefeller Center. I highly recommend this course of action if you don't have 2 hours to waste:Hooray for New York! Mmm, I'm so looking forward to fall in the city, with a little chill in the air, maybe knitting a nice fair isle sweater, and eating pies that Veronique makes.... Yum.