Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Rockin' Socks

I forgot to show you all the only thing I knit during my entire 3 months away!Pattern: Michael's Smiley Socks (my own)
Yarn: Claudia Hand Painted Yarn, Fingering (the camo color), 2 skeins
and Koigu KPPPM (the red color), 1 skein
Needles: Lantern Moon Rosewood DPNs, US 1, and then had to switch to 32" Addi US 1 circs when all of my rosewood needles broke in my backpack. :(

So, I did make 2 of them, but forgot to photograph both on him before I left. Not. Smart.
Wanna know what else wasn't smart? When I decided to make these socks, I said, "Yeah, I can do pretty much anything. I'll make whatever kind of socks you want." And he replied, immediately, "I want smiley faces!"
Oops.
I was thinking of a nice, manly stitch pattern, but OK, smiley faces it is. It took some experimenting before I got the idea of adapting a Norwegian X's and O's pattern into smilies. Nice and subtle, no bright yellow yarn. Did them top down, regular heel flap, grafted the toe. Easy peasy.
And seriously, I've never seen someone so happy to receive his socks. Makes every stitch worth it, doesn't it?
I hope they're keeping his feet nice and warm, in far-off and chilly lands.