Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hey, Miss Tambourine Scarf

Why do I look so sad in this picture?
Because I'm wearing an alpaca silk scarf and it's 85 degrees outside!
But this little girl began her life 10,000 miles away, far South of the Equator, where winter was starting to settle in, and I needed something warm and soft to go around my neck.
Unfortunately, she did not want to leave, and tried to run away with some Australian musicians. (I understand, little scarf. The allure of the hedonistic lifestyle is strong.) I had to go home without her.
She was, however, found out, discovered hiding away in a tambourine, and promptly shipped back home to me. Hopefully now she's pulled herself together. I think she'll find New York winters much more to her liking.
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk, 4 balls. (Yes, I went to the Land of Merino, and I came back with Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk. I was desperate for this scarf.)
Needles: US 7 circs (They were random pointy bamboo circs, the only ones I could find at the shop, I didn't have any Addis.)
Pattern: Mock cable rib. So simple, it's not really a pattern at all.

CO 32 sts.
Work K2 P2 rib for 4 rows.
Now shift it all 1 st to the left for the next 4 rows, so:
Row 5: P1, *K2 P2, rep from * till last 3 sts, K2, P1.
Row 6: K1, *P2 K2, rep from * till last 3 sts, P2, K1.
Rep. rows 5 & 6.
Now shift it all over 1 st to the left again, so:
Rows 9-12: P2 K2 rib
Now shift 1 st to left one more time, so:
Row 13: Rep row 6
Row 14: Rep row 5
Rep. rows 13 & 14.

Now keep repeating the above 16 rows till desired length or till you're out of yarn. I used 4 complete balls of yarn, and my blocked scarf is about 67" (170 cm) long. Bind off. Block lightly.
See, that's a little happier. I'm really glad to have her back.