Sunday, December 03, 2006

Stranded in Norway

It seems that this blog has, inexplicably, succumbed to the seductions of Norway. Not sure why--I have no Norwegian heritage that I'm aware of, though my Grandma is Finnish--but there's no denying it. It was only after I joined "Stranded: The Colorwork Challenge" that I became aware of my new love of all things knitted and Norwegian. We were asked 2 questions:
What are your projects for this knitalong?
and
Is this your first colorwork project? If it isn't, what was your first, and has it survived the test of time?
My projects? Well, I'll be starting with some Norwegian Stockings from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks.
Who wouldn't want to knit these? I hope all of you folks form the Norwegian Knits KAL aren't too tired of seeing these stockings, because I've got to have a pair.
Also thinking of, as I mentioned before, this Knitpicks ski sweater. Also "inspired by" Norwegian knits. But I think I'll see how I do on the stockings first.
And no, this will not be my first colorwork project, but close. More like somewhere between my 3rd and 5th, depending on which of the 3 projects I have on the needles get done first. My first and second colorwork projects, however, are also of Norwegian descent:
EZ's mittens (all about those here) and Ufserud. Both using Knitpicks Telemark in Northern Green and Bayberry. The hat used one ball of each and was knit on US #4 dpns.
Neither has had much of a chance to withstand the test of time, esp. since as of 2 days ago it was still 72 degrees F here in NYC. But I think I'm pretty safe with these--could they ever go out of style?
Anyone have any more fabulous Norwegian knits for me? I'm always ready to add to my already-long list of Projects to Knit.