Thursday, November 30, 2006

Belated Bog (aka. The Last Bog Post Ever)

So, I've had these photos for days, and I'm just now posting. I know, the shame.Pattern: Bog Jacket from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Around
Yarn: Undyed Irish aran-weight wool bought in Galway, and 1 skein Louet Gems Topaz for I-cord edging
Needles: Addi Turbos, US #8, 32"
Modifications: I did all of EZ's suggested mods except the pockets. This included: longer sleeves with short-row arm shaping, waist shaping, shoulder shaping, "phoney seams", and i-cord edging. I also installed a double-direction zipper instead of buttons b/c I thought it would be more wearable and modern that way.I am completely thrilled with how this turned out. While I was making the jacket, I was having very serious doubts. It looked like a giant mass of white wooliness, which still smelled a little sheepy, to be honest, and I was afraid the fit would be really off, since it was such a strange form of construction. It turned out to be a snug, fitted wool jacket!
The knitted-on i-cord edging really added a lot:
And though it took several hours to do, it was well-worth the effort.
What's next? I've got several Christmas presents on the needles--don't worry, I'm not going to complain endlessly about them here, but I will photograph them once it's all over so you can see what I was up to. But I will tell you that I had to learn how to do INTARSIA IN THE ROUND for one of them. Which is best avoided, if you can help it. Also working on the colorwork hat from the last post, which is almost done. And Rogue. And four pairs of socks. We like to keep it interesting over here at Casa Yarnmonster. ;)