Saturday, July 08, 2006

Birch!

She's all done!

Pattern: Birch from Rowan Magazine #34
Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze in Jelly, 3 balls
Needles: US 6 Addi Turbos
Started: June 11, 2006 Finished: July 5, 2006

I'm totally pleased with how Birch turned out. I love the Jelly color, I love how the rows get shorter and shorter as you go, and I love how fluttery and pretty it got when I blocked it (on hands and knees with my parents in their living room the night before I returned to NYC, pinning it to the rug and steaming it--loads of fun). I used needles 2 sizes smaller than called for because I'd seen Veronique's beautiful Birch, which was knit on #4's, and I knew #8 would be too loose for my liking. Also followed Veronique's modification to row 7 of the pattern to make a more symmetrical double decrease (slip 2 as if to K2tog, K1, pass slipped sts over), but those were my only mods.
Also started Sizzle on Thursday:
I've been waiting for this pattern to be ready since I first saw it on Knit & Tonic's blog. I'm using Rowan Calmer, which I've never used before and am loving so far. I decided that I'd rather have a little stretch than sparkle, and this yarn is soft, elastic, and seems like it will be very breathable.
And check it out! I'm a Spider!

Pretty cool, right? Especially since I just finished knitting my first real "web," ha ha ha.