Thursday, June 08, 2006

My Pretties

Now this is more like it:

I overdyed certain sections of my most recent batch of sock yarn on Monday, and was much more pleased with the results. You like? I ended up scorching the strawberry-ish ones, so I'm keeping those, and the green is promised to someone, but I am thinking I'm going to put the purple/green/fuschia ones on Etsy. As soon as I figure out how to do that. Which could be weeks from now.
And an FO:

These are my Fluffy Slipper Socks, knitted out of some merino/cashmere I spun quite some time ago. Funny how I forgot this tidbit until I started the second sock: when I decided to dye this stuff, I had spun half of it, but the other half was still roving. So I dyed it all the same colors, thinking that would be fine. Only it knit up totally differently, with the right sock (on top) having random bits of color, and the left (bottom) having a sort of random stripeyness. Live and learn.
And here's a warm and fuzzy story for you. I was reading through "Greetings From the Knit Cafe," which features my lovely pal Nicole on the cover, and saw the name of a certain designer in there and thought, "I knew a girl by that name in 4th grade in Virginia." Her biographical blurb even mentioned that she moved from VA at a young age. I was like, Could it be? I googled her, and lo and behold, she has a knitblog! Which showed a lovely redhead much like the 4th grader I remember. So I sent her a really stupid email ("Were you in so-and-so's 4th grade class?") And it WAS her! Wow, was I thrilled to hear from such a long, long lost friend--and wow, was I relieved it wasn't some stranger, totally laughing at my email.
This makes the 2nd friend I have rediscovered via knitblogging! Anybody else out there who maybe went to kindergarten with me? I have to tell you, nothing makes me happier than a day like that, hearing from an old friend you thought you'd probably never see again. Our world is just getting smaller and smaller--in a good way!