Sunday, June 04, 2006

I Cooked Some Yarn... And Dinner!

Check it out, peeps:

That would be Vegan Fondue, straight from the cutest blog ever, Vegan Lunch Box. I was a little skeptical when I read how much it tasted like real fondue, but when Michelle insisted on Friday that it was indeed, very good, I decided to give it a try. I guess a real-life recommendation still goes a long way with me.
Spent a lovely afternoon on Friday knitting away with Jenn and several others, all bloggers! I had met Stephanie and Sandra before, but was happy to meet Colleen and Marie as well, and several others stopped in right before I left, but Jamie had come to collect me, in the rain, for dinner. I had shamelessly worked on my wool/silk sweater all day instead of his socks, so I didn't linger.
This weekend brought some time to play with my fab new turkey roaster, my newest kitchen purchase that is reserved only for yarn-dyeing use.
I dyed all of this:
Self-striping, superwash merino yarn, knits up on a size 2, nice soft stuff. Only I have to go back and overdye some parts of it--the dye was a little spotty on the greenish-blue part on the left.
There was also this:
That's a "before" picture of some Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock that has been driving me CRAZY for quite some time. I hate the way it stripes up--it is about a row per stripe but not exactly--and I finally got the idea to overdye it with a few more colors and thus obliterate this pattern.
And look what happened!
The yarn soaked up the dye so nicely, and now it's so much prettier! I think the 20% nylon helped the dye to spread evenly, which I like, so now I'm trying to find some undyed yarn just like this (80% superwash wool, 20% nylon, 7 sts.=1" on a size 1) for my dyeing obsession. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!