Monday, April 24, 2006

Toes Up

It would not have looked, to the casual observer, like a very exciting weekend at the Cary house. A little shopping in the rain on Saturday, a whole day at home on Sunday. Much time spent at the computer, planning the trip to Ireland.
But the more careful eye would have spotted this:

My first foray into knitting TWO socks at the same time on one circular needle!
It occurred to me, as I was about to finish this,

the first of my Falling Leaves socks, that it wasn't going to be a lot of fun to be done with one sock. I mean, I wore it around the house, I waved my foot around, but the truth of the matter was that I was only half done, and still had to make another. Which, no worries, I have since started, so we're on our way. But I also wanted to avoid this let-down in the future, so I found this great tutorial for a Turkish cast-on of two socks at the same time, wound up my Vesper, and I was off! And can I take a moment to say that I LOVE this yarn?!? It is too cool, the colors are like candy and it makes such pretty stripes.
So the Falling Leaves socks are, indeed, a little roomy. Making the foot short did help to stretch them out lengthwise, but there's just more fabric than is necessary. But whatever, I'm NOT knitting them again, and they're totally wearable. Next pair of socks will be much smaller.
And then we have this:

Yep, that's a pile of undyed yarn just waiting to burst into color. Superwash stuff for socks, AND some really wonderful merino/silk that seems like the same stuff I used for my Clapotis. It's been several months since my last dyeing session, as I haven't been spinning a ton lately, but then I realized (after buying my Vesper) that I could just buy some undyed yarn, and have all the fun of dyeing without the stress of worrying that I'm destroying my handspun yarn. What could be more fun than that?