Friday, April 14, 2006

Snuggly New FO

I have been a busy, busy knitter. I've had a bit of a fire lit under my arse, realizing that due-dates for some planned gifts are much nearer than they used to be. How time just slips by, right?
So I was in a big hurry to finish this:

which had to be the absolute fastest sweater ever.
Pattern: Berkshire Pullover from Melanie Fallick's Weekend Knitting
Yarn: Morehouse Merino Bulky in Chartreuse, 5 skeins
Needles: 13 US
I knit the smallest size, a 35", which called for 6 skeins. I never had to touch the 6th skein, and the thing is still ginormous! I am afraid it makes me look a little like a green hippo, but that doesn't really bother me, as I obviously wasn't knitting this for a slimming, clingy effect. It was so quick and easy, no seams to sew, and makes me feel like I'm wrapped in fluffy warm happiness when I wear it.
In other news, the Falling Leaves sock is no more, though it is planning to re-emerge shortly in some bright orange Koigu. I was trying it with this Lorna's Laces sock yarn I've had for about a year, and it was just looking awful with the way the yarn is dyed. So now it's just a plain, toe-up sock:
Yep, pretty boring. But hopefully comfy in the end. I can't begin to fathom why I bought this pesky yarn, I think it must have been a moment of consumer panic at Purl. You know, when you've been there for 20 minutes and you just can't bear to leave without buying anything, and so you think, "Sock yarn! I can buy sock yarn, and then I'll only be buying 2 skeins." Even though you don't really knit socks, like, ever.
The Organic Cotton Surprise is coming along nicely, though you don't get a glimpse of it! But I think I am nearly half done. Which is a huge relief, as it is not for me, and thus needs to be finished in a timely fashion.
Next thing to be cast on? Either that Cache-Coeur I've talked so much about, or the orange Falling Leaves socks. Or why not both? Let's see how many projects I can cram into that sidebar!