Sunday, April 09, 2006

Organizational Skills

I am a listmaker. I make lists for everything; it makes me feel like I am doing something, working to get a chaotic situation under control. I make lists of what books I want to read, and then I check them off when I finish them. I make lists of the books I have recently read, just to keep track. I make lists of things we need for the house, or healthy groceries I ought to buy. I also make terrifying, paralyzing to-do lists, and sometimes by the time I have written them, I have become so overwhelmed that I have to fight the urge to crawl back into bed.
My latest list-making compulsion is to make knitting lists. Lists of works in progress, lists of patterns I want to make, lists of patterns I have already bought the yarn for. So in that spirit, I give you:


The "Inspire" List, projects for the future. Some are just hopeful candidates, others are as "for sure" as future projects can be. A couple are actually just begun.
I love when people share their future projects ideas, because not only do I see lots of things I wouldn't otherwise have known about, but it also makes me think differently about patterns I may have seen once but not given much thought to. "Oh, Yarn-Girly-Girl thinks that Rowan sweater is really great. I wonder what she likes about it?" I tend to look at patterns and imagine that everyone else will like and dislike the same ones as me, but that is not always the case. We all have such different taste (with universal exceptions like the Clapotis and maybe the Hourglass Sweater) and I think that is so cool. Because if everyone liked the same things, we wouldn't have anything new or different. And then where would we be?