Monday, March 27, 2006

Trying to be a Faithful Knitter

Despite the abundance of projects out there in the world, projects that are just dying for me to start them, I have, as of late, been trying to be a more temperate and steadfast knitter. It is when I see other people's galleries of finished objects, or when a blogger posts a number of celebratory "just-finished" photos, that I really feel the need to FINISH something, get something off the needles and on my body, take those pictures, post, "I did it!" This is when I really feel the emptiness of the lifestyle of the philanderous, promiscuous knitter. Sure, there is always the big thrill of casting on something new, something different, something with which you have no difficult and dramatic past. But the excitement starts to wear thin after a while. You start to crave the comfort of commitment, the pride of working at something until successful completion.
It is in this spirit of accomplishment that I give you:

The Noro Kureyon Wrap!
It is done! It actually didn't take very long, and was the simplest and most brainless project I've done in a while, which was a relief after certain Disastrous Olympic Events. The shawl pin used above is only a temporary one, while I'm waiting to get this beauty from my mum:

She made that for me! Isn't she amazing? I can't wait to get it, along with the other samples she is sending for my perusal. Her jewelry teacher, Susan Saul, showed her this very cool Celtic design. Susan used to be my jewelry teacher too, back when I lived in GA and Mom and I took classes together. Sniff, sniff. Anyway, in case you check out Susan's page--do you recognize somebody?
Once I took the wrap off the needles, it was time to start on my Huggable Hill Alpaca sweater. Which doesn't REALLY even count as something new, as that yarn was already in my sidebar projects--it is just morphing into something different.

Not much yet, but as it is a top-down, in the round pattern, this would be the back of the neck and tops of shoulders. Exciting, right? I can't wait to get to the part that says "Join."
Next weekend's major project is going to be taking some finished-object photos for me. I have a pile of undocumented sweaters just waiting to be photographed.